Thursday, December 08, 2005

Audrey's pick again

: Callas Forever (2002) Callas Forever
Director: Franco Zeffirelli.
Starring: Fanny Ardant, Jeremy Irons, Joan Plowright.
Duration: 112 minutes Country: Italy.
Mini
Review:
It took director Franco Zeffirelli a quarter of a century to figure out how best to pay homage on screen to his longtime friend and colleague, opera legend Maria Callas, who died at 53 in 1977...resulting in this glorious, not-to-be-missed wonderful offering.... Managing Maria Callas's (Fanny Ardant) late career has left Larry Kelly (Jeremy Irons) scorched by the star's brilliant fire. Visiting her palatial Paris apartment, Kelly is shocked to find a broken and reclusive Callas, humiliated by the deterioration of her voice. Determined to re-ignite her passion and restore her legacy, he convinces her to take on an important project: a film of the opera "Carmen", in which she will lip-sync her own, beautiful recording of many years previous. "

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Hi Audrey,
I saw that Orlando is directed by Sally Potter. Have you seen any of her movies? I loved "The Tango Lesson" would recommend that...

Friday, December 09, 2005 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger hectorjo said...

yep
I thought it was Greenway, but of course, it was her. I'm interested in The Tango Lesson.
The Callas movie was great, but...
I see one would need to like/love opera and the voice of the Diva.
Although, for me there is the straight love affair I have with french actresses. Fanny Ardant in this role, period dresses and makeup is a haunting reminder of my youth and mother, Paquerette Bouchard.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 9:46:00 AM  
Blogger hectorjo said...

Prima Dona, I should say

Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I have beautiful memories of The Tango Lesson and how she (sally potter) does it with such eloquence. Saw this about 6 years ago so will take the plunge. See above!

Sunday, December 11, 2005 9:19:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

sometimes i wish i could edit my comments.
Has anyone seen www.postsecret.blogspot.com

Sunday, December 11, 2005 9:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home